Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Busy-ness


Hello, again. I am going to try for a quick update even though I'm so supremely caffeinated I can barely type. I don't know what it is, but even though I like to brag sometimes about being immune to the effects of coffee, there are days it really does a number on me. I guess it could have been the Dexadrine omelet I had this morning. Kidding! There I go, making inappropriate jokes again. I hope I'm not offending anyone, especially not any of you new readers who moseyed on over here from Design Mom. I would hate to lose you so soon, before you've learned to love me in spite of all my annoying habits, like hiding in the bathroom while you push your baby out.


So anyway, we made it back from our trip-and I am sorry about the hiatus in posting. I'd planned to update frequently, even urgently, something akin to Christiane Amanpour, but from Amish Country--however, the greenhouse has a way of consuming not just my time, but the part of my brain that thinks in complete sentences; therefore, I mostly just worked all weekend. Watering, trimming, transplanting, sweeping, grunting like a cavewoman in order to communicate. The world outside our seven acres could become over-run with Smurfs and I would have absolutely no idea it had happened. Isn't it strange how some tasks, or maybe it's certain environments, buffer us from the rest of civilization, if only for a while?

It's actually pretty wonderful in some ways-but I don't know if I want to be engrossed in anything to that degree-at least not right now. My children are still so young that they need the lion's share of my time and attention and brain cells, and they need it in ways that are, often, unpredictable. The thing about being a grower is, the plants can't wait. It's not like a sewing project you can put down, or a blog post that can be finished once everyone's asleep. Flowers wilt, and can't be sold, and there goes Junior's college education. Or, in all seriousness, our dinner.


On the flip side, though, there's so much beauty, so many ways to create in that world-which I love. I suppose it would be easier if there were a way to pause the business needs-because heaven knows I can't stave off the little people for very long. And why would I want to? Having my mother ever-present in all my growing-up moments was comfort indescribable. I realize not everyone experienced childhood in this way, but when I was sick, she was by my side in an instant. Instead of rushing off to trim some geraniums, she was there to tuck me in tight. Now, the more cynical among will probably think that the previous sentence explains why I missed something like 47 days of school in second grade, but there were other factors in play, I assure you, which will be covered in another post. Maybe.

All this to say-boy, was I busy this weekend. And we still don't know what our next move is-career, housing, it's all up in the air. Joshua suggested that we take a year off and travel with the children, to which I replied, rather dramatically: isn't that what we've BEEN doing?! I mean, if I can get a renovated Airstream out of it, fine, but I'm not going to just keep living like this and call it VACATION! Where are the tiny bottles of shampoo? The fresh stack of magazines to read in the car? That's what I thought.

But-more will be revealed. We did what we had to do up north, and now we're back in the city for the next little while. Finishing out school, packing up-because hey, the family that owns the house we're living in has decided to come back from Dubai in a few weeks. On the road again...it's not forever, I keep telling myself.  Forget, repeat, forget, repeat.

When we do land, somewhere, for good, I am going to dec that place out like nobody's business. I'm serious. You'll call me on the phone to have breakfast, to go thrift-store shopping or see a movie or visit the farmer's market, and I will have become a bona fide hermit, reunited at last with all my stuff, in a home that's mine. Of course, if I'm living in the Airstream, we can just hook it up to your car and haul around, you holding things up for me to look at through the window. I may even open it up a crack to pass you some money if I see something I really like. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Um, (1) missed you, (2) NEED to see you while you're here, and (3) we've semi-seriously considered moving to Buenos Aires for a year and working remotely--y'all could totally join us and it'd be SO MUCH FUN.

If you need a place to crash, mi casa etc etc.

xoxo

PS My word verification = "cakiest." Which is totally what I think of you, so isn't that FUNNY?