Wednesday, February 3, 2010

All its treasures

A wild concept: Fifty or so pieces of unsigned art hanging in a separate gallery. Select the piece you like, and who knows? It might be the work of a middle-school student, an emerging painter from the community, or a nationally recognized artist or performer. Each one just five by seven inches, all priced the same. What matters is, you buy what moves you. 
Art for art's sake.
Then, later, if you care, you flip the canvas over for the big reveal. 


It had me at hello.

My husband didn't ask if I was sure,
just slapped a SOLD sticker on the wall beside it
and said, Happy Birthday.
It could not have been more perfect.
And, with all due respect to Mr. Penley,
the two of us didn't realize you are, well...
kind of a big deal. 
We do now.
But, just so you know, even if you weren't...we would have wanted it, still.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I love this, and I love the story behind it. All art is better when it comes with a story.